Download an archive of your Facebook data
Did you know that you can download an archive or an extended archive of all of the data you've posted on Facebook. This is handy for two reasons:
- To make you realise the mountain of information, some of it quite personal, that you have placed on a server over which you have no control
- To take a copy of all that information for archive purposes or, more importantly, in the event that you decide to close your Facebook, to you have the information back in your posession
It's important to realise that if you close your Facebook account, all of that information remains on Facebook, so it's up to you, once you have downloaded your Facebook archive, to delete everything that's on Facebook before you close the account.
What's in your archive?
- Photos or videos you've shared on Facebook
- Your Wall posts, messages and chat conversations
- Your friends' names and some of their email addresses (they'll only include email addresses for friends who've allowed this in their account settings)
What's not in your archive?
- Your friends' photos and status updates
- Other people's personal info
- Comments you've made on other people's posts
OK, what do I do?
Then, just follow the simple instructions!